I sent some questions over to the Malmo London designers and have just received their answers!
– How did it all start? What made you decide to make the collection?
It all started with 2 guys who wanted to start a clothing brand, without forgetting our roots. We have quickly gained a loyal following as we care about the people that work for us and the young creatives we actively support. We never want to be a nasty corporation, using sweatshops and laughing all the way to the bank.
– I see that you like to take inspiration from the streets? Is there anything in particular that you look for or is it just whatever’s there?
I like to throw myself in. Get a cheap flight, get lost in a city, meet people, visit galleries, peoples studios- that’s my biggest inspiration. It doesn’t have to be limited to looking at clothes. That’s why the collection is sporadic- no-one wants to see the same old sh*t season after season.
– What’s the main difference between Swedish streets and London streets? (If there are any differences).
Personally I find, Sweden is very classy, homely & functionally focused. Whereas London is more gritty and spontaneous. Its great to bring together ideas from different areas, including Nepal; where our products are manufactured. A lot of inspiration has come from there as well.
– What sort of things do you look for when you put together Mo Monthly?
We look for aspiring creative talent. Be it music, design or indeed fashion. Something fresh, original & forward thinking.
– What’s your main piece of advice to the young designers out there that want to start out in design?
Ask yourself, “what’s stopping me doing this?”. Don’t be afraid of putting stuff ‘out there’. If you have confidence in yourself and a vision going forward, you will inevitably succeed.